Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mind Wandering Through Life on the Road to Ft. Lauderdale

I recently spent seventen hours, thirty-five minutes (one way...same for return trip) in a car containing three generations of family, an enormous amount of luggage, surfboards, magazines, books, my computer, my embroidery, two DS game systems, a few coloring books, a portable DVD player, assorted Discs for all sorts of movies, music, games. I became enlightened as to why, despite the enormous cost for so many of us at one time, God created AIRPLANES to reduce stress.  The trip was divided into two days, one night on the road (each way). We left cold, grey, wintery Ohio for a week in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

That all being said, is really not what I am talking about!  I believe, although I am  no electronic, auidio, visual, Hi and Lo Definition Historian, by any means that Sirius XM Radio was invented by a grandparent who, for the life of her, just couldn't listen to one more: "Are we there yet?"; "How much longer?"; after five minutes in the car - "I have to poooooooop!!!!!"; five minutes after a potty stop - "I have a tummy ache..." - and then- "Mom! Meme (may-may)!  Tessie threw up on me!" ; "I'm thirsty!" ; "When are we going to eat?"; "He's looking at me!"; "Tanner hit me!"; "Todd won't share!" ; "I have no place to put my feet!"; "Tess put her foot on my leg!" ; "I'm hot!" ; "I'm cold!"; "Todd burped!"; "Why do we have to look for a good place? What's wrong with McDonald's?"; "Have a cookie!" (from the Christmas Cookie basket perched on sand toys); and so the Litany of the Road to Florida Saints goes.  The classic comment about all of the above: "We'd never be a NASCAR pit crew!" given the amount of time each potty, drink, puke stop took!

The rental car in which we were driving, I discovered was equipped with SIRIUS RADIO!!!  I found  50's on 5; 60's on 6; 70's on 7, 80's on 8; 90's on 9!!!  My fingers even stumbled upon 40's on 4! My parents would enjoy that one, the next time they laugh at the weather and ride through a storm.  The children began to giggle when I accompanied Dodie Stevens singing" Pink Shoe Laces" to override my daughter's complaints about the car's interior temperature.  Who couldn't smile at "Purple People Eater"? The "Witch Doctor" chorus of "oo ee oo ah ah, ting tang walla walla bing bang" just can't be beat!  Tess even sang "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" with the radio and me (Hey, she saw 'Lion King").  Wiggling out cramps from legs, feet and laps, nothing fit the  atmosphere better than belting out, "Do You Feel Like I Do".  The 80's Baby, my daughter commented on bad music and mascara until Madonna surfaced on 80's on 8.  I did some "California Dreamin" to tune out my fellow passengers.  Tess appreciated the Ohio Express' "Yummy Yummy Yummy, I've got love in my tummy", complete with hand motions.  After all, there was nothing else left in it! We all had "Do Wah Diddy Diddy, Dum Diddy Do" down!  At one stop, Tanner had fallen asleep and had to be carried. We were all tired, 60's on 6 had the salve...the Hollies - "He ain't heavy, he's my brother"...first line..."The road is long ..."  Perfect?

A little time in a car with the goof troop, known as the Macy Circus Wagon, required endurance, determination, a sense of humor.  The ability to transport one's mind to another time and place just might be key!  Maybe when we were younger, cooler?  The Shirelles crooned, "Dedicated to the One I Love".  The Mamas and Papas did a remix of that and it was played continuously when I dated a West Point Cadet. Before Bob's Plebe Year, during "Beast Barracks",  well, listen to the song.  For the duration of the song, in cramped quarters, I was a High School Senior again.  The Beatles, "Eight Days a Week" gave me a glimpse of Bernie in his Austen Healy singing, looking over at me smiling. (Glen Campbell double)  But, the absolute best... The Four Tops came blasting through the radio waves (well, I turned the radio up to override the "Keep you hands to yourself!" song) "I Can't Help Myself" had me dancing in my seat! I was at a Friday night dance in the gym - a Freshman dancing with Billy, a gorgeous blue eyed, blond Sophomore!  We could dance Motown like we didn't realize that we were white kids! We were good! We won dance contest after dance contest, week after week!  I was a kid, I was in the center of the dance floor, Pat R. hated me (jeaous, she couldn't dance and was wild about Billy). I wasn't a grandparent, I was a dancing teenager in a snappy pink mini dress with empire waist and matching pink shoes! Billy's blue shirt set off his eyes!   We were the best, best, best! I felt high on memories! "Laura, do you want to stop here for the night?" POP!!! The bubble burst. "Sure, this is fine." Billy, by the way is a Preacher in the Southern Bible Belt now, you know.  He doesn't drink (probably reached quota in High School), doesn't smoke (used to smell as if I was dancing with a dragon, handsome dragon, but, a dragon ), and wait for it...wait for it...DOESN'T DANCE anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment