Thursday, April 26, 2012

COME ONE! COME ALL! RINGLING BROTHERS, BARNUM AND BAILEY CIRCUS IS IN TOWN!!!

I had a terrible few days.  I mean, nothing was right, just nothing!  By the time Thursday rolled around, I was tired, old, broke, felt fat, suffering from bad hair, sick of my wardrobe, drowning in "Veterans' History Project" Reports/Interviews to type, overwhelmed with undone "things" that need completion, just in the pits!  Have you ever had a week like that?  I mean honestly?  I had an earworm, "Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I'm going to eat some worms..."  That rhyme just wouldn't go away.

An Easter Gift for the trio, my daughter and myself was a trip, on opening night, in VIP seating to RINGLING BROTHERS, BARNUM & BAILEY CIRCUS!  Now, I must share, I have loved the circus since I was a little girl.  I remember the Big Top! I remember the PanAm Circus coming to Paterson, the Wallace Brothers under the Big Top in Totowa. In Atlantic City, the Cole Brothers performed under the Big Top - I was there!  I remember Ringling Brothers coming to Madison Square Garden from childhood as well.   Every year, we took our children to RINGLING BROTHERS from infancy until, like tonight? Anyway, I put on my big girl panties, slapped on a smile and the five of us headed to The Nutter Center!  The "PreShow" of the Circus began to chisel away my anxiety, my insecurities.  The performers were engaging, welcoming, FUN was brewing!  Revelers were told to go to their seats, because the show was about to begin...Lights dimmed...Anticipation mounted...after a comedic prelude...

Enter The Ringmaster:

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, CHILDREN OF ALL AGES, WELCOME TO RINGLING BROTHERS AND BARNUM & BAILEY CIRCUS! "

As the Circus Parade entered the Arena, I watched the Todd, Tess, Tanner wide-eyed "raising the roof" to upbeat, club music.  As the performers entered and spilled into the Arena, my heart opened, my very soul spilled out in fusion with the lights, the music, the performers, the gaiety!  I heard myself say, "Wave as they pass and the clowns, elephant riders, dancers will wave back!"  They did!  I was connected  and transported to another parallel galaxy!   I was swept into the color, the spirit of amazing talent, versatile Circus Band,  incredible ability and engulfing entertainment!  When we were asked to leave our seats and sit in the center ring to watch some of the presentation before the intermission, the clowns made us feel as if they were "saving our seats" like old friends to join them for an evening of diversion!  If the children smiled any wider, their faces would have cracked into pieces.  I heard myself ooooo and ahhhhhhh, laugh out loud, clap to the beat of the throbbing music,  applaud! 

The jugglers, acrobats, aerialists were flawless, smooth, able.  I swear, they all earned "A +'s" in gym!  The animal trainer had an endearing, warm manner. ( I wonder if Priscilla could earn a few of her Kit & Kaboodle bits the way her beautiful "cousins" do! )

I realized that I didn't feel like a grandmother with her daughter and grandchildren in tow.  I felt my spirit lift, my head clear!  I was a child, I was carefree!  The rent wasn't due, the bills were not strewn across my floor (I had thrown them up in the air for God to select which He would pay this month), I wasn't carrying the extra five pounds that I battle, my hair was rather perfect!  I was exhilarated, not tired.  I loved my outfit, I looked forward to a weekend for Veterans reports, I was light, free! My broomstick was transformed into light, fairy wings that twinkled! 

Ladies and Gentlemen, there is "something" for everyone at the Circus!  The effects are amazing, the costumes bright, beautiful!  The acts are so diversified that if one isn't just what you "love", the next one will win your vote, two hands up!  You have a friend at the Circus. The Circus eagerly awaits you!  You are not alone at the Circus. You have no sadness, no fear, no negativity at the Circus. If more people experienced the Circus, possibly more counselors and therapists might have lighter schedules.  I have no credentials to really say.

As the finale burst forward and the entire cast, again, paraded in the midst of fireworks, confetti, song, dance, enthusiastic waves I could feel myself swell with appreciation.  Perhaps we would all be better off  (and not experience those funky weeks that I described at the beginning)  if we took to heart the Ringmaster's traditional parting words which resonate deeply within my very being:

"MAY ALL YOUR DAYS BE CIRCUS DAYS!"






No comments:

Post a Comment