Wednesday, May 9, 2012

WE ARE FAMILY / IT'S A FAMILY AFFAIR

On Sunday, May 6, Todd made his FIRST HOLY COMMUNION.  For those of you who are Catholics, this is big stuff when you are a little second grader.  The girls are dressed so beautifully in white, with veils, some simple, some elaborate..  Little boys are in suits, ties, dress shoes.  Of course, the little girls maintain their composure.  Teachers (like myself) wind up checking, rechecking, straightening, restraightening ties, jackets.  Tying shoes, tucking in shirts continuously until the entrance procession is on the move! 

Families were to sit in their assigned pews with the Communicant on the aisle.  I (as I've said, as one of the Religion Teachers) along with another, led Todd's group...through the Chapel, around the altar and into the Church... The girls, slowly, meticulously.  The boys struggled to maintain prayerful hands, slow down from their characteristic dead run, NOT TOUCH EACH OTHER. As a rule, Todd doesn't "walk" as such!  He pumps the air with little legs churning distance as if springs were built into his shoes. 

I have worked with my class (containing Todd) ALL YEAR.  With pride, the children slipped into their pews, next to their Moms and/or Dads.  Todd slipped in next to Mom.  Mom's fiance sat next to her, Tess, Tanner next to them. Emi (Grandpa's friend) next. Grandpa at the end.  Okay, Meme...where to sit?  No worries, I sat across the aisle (Grandpa side) in staff seating. 

Grandpa and I are divorced, you know.  He is a member of the CLC, Jesuits.  The man has credentials to be sure.  He kids that even though he can do most things in the Church (except Consecration of the Blessed Sacrament and dispense Holy Orders), one thing that he hasn't found in his volumes and volumes of prayer books and rituals...an exorcism for Me!  Gotta love the family, yes?

I am a lady.  I am a gracious lady.  The day was all about Todd...not about US. (But, my white Neiman Marcus suit really kicked)  Hmmmmm. Todd read a petition (5 children were selected).  Eucharistic Ministers were to ascend  and gather around the altar before the distribution of Eucharist.  Steve and I went up on the altar.  The Religious Education Director whispered to me, "It's up to you, where do you want him?  I thought that you would give Todd The Precious Blood for the first time, what do we do with Steve?"  I said that he is his grandfather, that he came from New York to get here to celebrate, that I see Todd and teach him every day,  let the Monsignor go for it.  Father gave us a scathing look.  We separated.

Todd approached Father in the circle of Tiff (Mom), Tess, Tanner.  His little heart was bursting from the monogrammed shirt almost disengaging his jacket buttons.  "The Body of Christ", said Father. He beamed as he said, "AMEN".  As a unit, they moved to Steve.  With a smile that forced the ushers to use crowbars to widen the aisles, Todd looked up at his Grandfather.  With reverence, and pride, Grandpa bent down, "The Blood of Christ, Todd".  "OH, AMEN!!! Grandpa!"

My eyes teared a little (five shades of eye shadow and perfect eyeliner with amazing mascara...I contained myself).

 After the Communicants received, the remainder of the Eucharistic Ministers (I was one of those) joined the others to distribute to the remainder of the congregation.  Todd (sitting next to his Mom, our daughter, Tiff) was centered in the Church on the center aisle, in the front row.  Flanking the pew, I realized that Steve was on one side, in front of a statue of St. Joseph  and I directly across from him on the other side, in front of the Blessed Mother Mary.

Congratulation Todd! Your family is proud of and happy for you!  Congratulations to us for the love that binds us (and maybe gags) in spite of ourselves!



No comments:

Post a Comment