Sunday, June 10, 2012

AN APOLOGY TO MR. WAGNER

I began High School at an extremely young age (for High School)...Really, I graduated from St. Paul's RC Elementary School (grades 1-8) when I was 12.  At one time I was really smart for my age and "skipped" grades.  (Typical of city schools "back in the day")

In my Sophomore year at Wayne Valley High School, I was placed in a primarily Senior class of MODERN EUROPEAN HISTORY.  Mr. Wagner was a no nonsense, overly informed, extremely intelligent man who really should have been teaching on a University level.  I hated the class.  I was not fond of Mr. Wagner.  I lived for the day that the course would be over and history be left in the past...any history...ugh!

I was befriended by an assortment of Seniors and a Junior or two.  I followed the daily drama of Sue and Al (drop dead gorgeous Senior), the ups and downs of Pat and Ralph's on and off again romance.  I found that relationship interesting, because, she was a Junior, he a Senior and she had an engagement ring!  Sadly, Ralph died in Viet Nam not long after he graduated.  That's another story altogether.  Kenny was brilliant. I sat next to Miles and fanned the flames of an enormous crush all year!  His talent was evident in the school shows, charming to the max, oh, but he was out the day that brains were distributed!  Nothing but clear space going on above the neck.  Because I was clever, mature for my age, mild mannered, pretty I was coddled by the older students and looked forward to socializing with the "cool kids".

I did not look forward to Mr. Wagner and whatever was going on in Europe from about WWI.  Places, officers, campaigns, treaties, who did what why...really?  When we got to WWII, I just didn't feel the love.  I was confused, disinterested.  I took notes like a mad woman, asked no questions, volunteered little insight into the entire mess going on across the pond, crammed for tests and managed to score "A's" in spite of myself.  One thing about the good Sisters of St. Paul's was that they instilled amazing study ethics into their charges.  My grades reflected that I cared.  I cared, but not about the academic subject matter.  I, with care, focused on Sue's Prom gown, Miles possible failure dilemma, Kenny's aspirations for a fur coat.  After I would do well on a test, I immediately cleared my mind of any residual historical knowledge to keep the class intrigue organized in my mind.

After the final exam for the year in European History, I gathered the massive notes, the charts, timeline, principle players, maps, additional supplemental information that Mr. Wagoner had compiled and distributed. With defiance, with purpose, with great relief and flourish, I  marched out to the garbage cans docked at the side of our house and deposited the entire class!  Yippee!!!  No more European History, no more dictators, wars, campaigns, treaties, dates, alphabet days!  That was fabulous then...

Not so much now.

I am the Secretary of VFW Post 9927, Kettering Ohio's Ladies 'Auxiliary.  I was admitted with my father's paper work.  He earned the WWII Victory Medal, as many WWII VETERANS did!  My parents have a photo of Ralph the Barber (his Dad) dressed in his WWI uniform with my Father in his WWII uniform.  I am also the historian at the post.  Are you beginning to recognize the irony? HISTORIAN.  I thought that with the help of another Veteran and my son (music, tech guy) a DVD that we created for the Post's Fiftieth Anniversary served as a "History" project and the past could be, well, the past.

Not so much now.

The Veterans' Administration, in conjunction with the Library of Congress has instituted a VETERANS' HISTORY PROJECT.  The stories and memorabilia (if possible) are to be obtained, written, compiled, and submitted to the Library of Congress.  The personal stories and experiences of the Veterans will be lost if they are not recorded, preserved.  The WWII Veterans are dwindling.  With the help of another Veteran who knows a vast number of former Military personnel, by seeking out these men and setting the appointments, I have been interviewing the men who contributed to our country's freedom and safety.  I have written the stories, as they have spoken them to me of a variety of men, with a variety of experiences.  A prisoner of war, a Veteran who was lost in a Burmese Jungle ALONE for six months, a Veteran who fought in the South Pacific, a Glider jumper, a man who was at the Battle of the Bulge, a man who actually participated in "D" Day, a man who was in occupied Berlin when peace was declared, a man who earned three Purple Hearts at Pearl Harbor.  I've spoken to a Guard of Prisoners, to a mess Sargent, to a man who suffered in Patton's platoon.  There are many more lined up to speak to me.  So, I will be typing, binding, submitting to the Library of Congress words that will be used as teaching tools for future generations.  I am seeking HISTORY.  I am totally submerged in MODERN EUROPEAN HISTORY.  I listen, sometimes I record electronically.  I transcribe my notes into stories.  I have my French notes from High School, I have my Art, Theatre, philosophy, literature notes.  But, Miss Smartie Pants has to type and Google at the same time for accuracy of places, people, things that Mr. Wagoner had so liberally distributed.  I created a drawing of the garbage cans at home.  The drawing hangs in my parents' house.  When I visited home two weeks ago, I wanted to climb into the drawing and search those very trash cans for Mr. Wagner's information, for my notes, for what I took for granted!

So, learn your lessons well in school!  ALL OF THEM!  You just might need them in the future.  You just might find that what you hated the most, will be your destiny!

Thank you Mr. Wagoner for trying with me.  I regret my ignorance and intolerance now.

(But, Sue's gown was beautiful and I tried to duplicate it with a long coat for my niece years ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment