Thursday, September 1, 2011

THINGS JUST AREN'T WHAT THEY USED TO BE

When I was a little girl, when my children were little and in school, on our birthdays, we brought cupcakes, or chocolate bars, huge cookies with colorful sprinkles in to share with the entire class.  At the end of the day (or sometimes, snack time) the teacher would let the birthday celebrant distribute the treats and the entire class would sing!  Those were the days!

On the first day of school (ugh, Ohio begins the school year in the summer.  In NJ, we began after Labor Day), Todd (second grade) brought home a notice.  The notice specified that NO FOODS OF ANY SORT could be brought in for birthdays because of allergies: peanuts, peanut butter, red dye, milk, chocolate, sugar, salt, white flour, no fruit, no carbonation, and so the list went on and on and on and on.  How about a saltless saltine cracker, or a roasted turkey and spring water?  The teacher, according to the notice suggested a trinket, or little token of whatever to distribute to make the Birthday Child feel special.

What to do?  I understand the health concerns of the above mentioned banned goodies.  I don't want to sound as ignorant as I am miffed that, "Hey, I'm a grown-up and veteran of a multitude of cookies, candies and cupcakes thank you very much, and I am just fine and dandy!  My children are...interesting, but cupcakes had nothing to do with it!"

So, ah-ha!  I've got it!!!!  Yesterday, the trio as I fondly call the three grandchildren that comprise my entourage and I went to the party store!  I bought curling ribbon to individually "wrap" ...wait for it...
twenty-four...SLIDE WHISTLES!!!!  No peanuts, or assorted by products thereof, no dairy, no red dye, chocolate, no salt, no sugar, no white flour, no fruit,  no carbonation, no nothing!  Just good old fashioned FUN!!!

On Friday, September 2, Todd will be EIGHT YEARS OLD!  Let's make some noise!!!  (Literally)

No comments:

Post a Comment