Friday, December 9, 2011

You Do Realize It's December, Don't You?

I have been trying so very hard to control my brain, my tongue, my fingers flying on the keys of this keyboard.  But, NO MORE NICE GUY/GAL...

Does the general public school teacher, here in Centerville, Ohio know that it is December?  Does the public school system know that there are Christians out the wazoo in the Mdwest?  I find this an interesting question, because, I know of one Jewish Public School Teacher who has told her class that there would be no take home homework until AFTER NEW YEAR, because there is so much going on!  I know that Church and State are different entities.  There are snappy private schools who are so happy to rake in our tuition and assure parents that they are the end all of whatever whosoever persuasion happens to be. 

BUT

Come on, let's be realistic.  I understand our shapes, our math, our spelling and reading homework in the first grade.  I, personally, brag that I did earn a scholarship to William Paterson University of New Jersey because I did all of that wretched homework and papers, etc and didn't waste too much time Rocking Around The Christmas Tree (I will fill you in on the West Point Cadet at the time in another blog...remind me)  We have Eight Days of the Festival of Light beginning on the 20th.  I KNOW THERE IS A SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!  However, some religions consider not just the religious implications of Christmas, but even celebrate Christmas as a National Holiday.

So, why, oh why would a teacher decide on December 2 and again on December 9 to hold "Old Fashioned Day"?  Children are to dress up in period costume of, oh, let's say, 1890!  Really?  Let's see, we are weeks from Christmas and we are doing all sorts of snappy homework, bringing in this and that for those who are not as blessed as we are.  We are shopping, baking, creating those "homemade from the heart" gifty gifts.  So, now we are to develop the ability to sew or the mega bucks to hire someone to sew an "old fashioned school outfit"  because, really, when you signed your teaching contracts you  were to create "spriit days" to throw us off the scent of getting anything done for Christmas?  Get real.  And then, if the two Fridays were not bad enough...the Wednesday, in between, was, wait for it...wait for it...THE SIXTIES!!!  The directions in the handy flyer that came home were to find your  fringed vest, psychodelic shirts and pants, and to join the fun.!

Now, let me help you out here... it is 2011.  I wore my "hippie garb", many lifetimes ago...Okay, I won't argue with you teachers of the children, but I guess I just haven't picked up my "love in" clothes from the cleaners yet!

Why can't we do all of this  "Back to the Back" in January when we have maybe, less to do?  My "Hippie" clothes and my 1890"s garb are not so readily available when I am frantic to within two weeks  be SANTA complete with lableing and wrapping before hiding the enormous stacks of consumer glee?  Remember, the last day of school before January 3 is December 16!  On the 16th we come in with parties, etc. 

Why not decide to get all fired up about "the good old days" when we have nothing else going on?  January is a nice month to get involved with insanity.  But, please USE YOUR HEADS!!! OLD FASHIONED DAYS?  THE 60'S?  Two weeks before Christmas, I want to use my JoAnn's coupons for fabric to make Mom's Robe, not recreate her dress that she wore to school!  Two weeks, I want to go to the Hobby Lobby with my coupons to gather what might make a cool swing jacket for Mom rather than tie-dye something stupid to go to the Elementary School "love-In"

If you, public schools in Centerville, are attempting to test our devotion to our children even though we help with homework, feed, house, counsel, clothe, finance activites to recreate "days gone by" for Spirit Days, I believe an investigation followed by recommendations are in order! 

IT'S DECEMBER...IT'S CHRISTMAS...IT IS A TIME FOR FAMILY, FOR SHARING...not for some overwhelmed individual, instead of stringing popcorn AFTER HOMEWORK, run to create clothing from 100 years ago.  It is not a time to find our "way out" clothes...which by the way...grandparents have NOT PARENTS at this date.  Are you kidding me?  Get real!!!

In JANUARY, we have not much to do, nor do we have a whole lot to which we can look forward...This is nonsense in DECEMBER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment