Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Runaway Harpy Please Come Back!!!

Tanner, four years old, came bouncing out of  "Lunch Bunch" (Monday) at his Pre-School with not only his slicker, rain boots, a back pack, a lunch box but also a tote bag containing a six inch stuffed toy penguin...HARPY! Within the confines of the tote also was a notebook.  A "Journal" if you will.  Tanner was to care for Harpy until he returned to school on Wednesday morning.  Tanner was thrilled to have such responsibility.  I am a veteran of responsibility and really, it isn't all that, but, hey, he's 4!

Harpy and Tanner went to the Barber Shop.  Harpy and Tanner went to the Library to find a book with Harpy's relatives and closest friends in it.  Harpy and Tanner returned home to "rest" before the afternoon of "activities" began with Todd (8) and Tess (7).  We wrote in the Journal.  That was the penance that parents, grandparents, guardians must suffer for this honor.  Four year olds can't really write and really don't know what they have done in the past five minutes, never mind two hours. 

To regress...Tanner's teacher is attractive, young, hip, smart, personality plus, mother of active children, herself.  I think that she just might be suffering from...well, REALLY?

Tess had to gather up her ballet shoes, ballet bag, change, oh, where did the "bun cover' go this week?  Todd needed his tennis raquet - "No not that one, the new one! Meme!  The other sneakers!  How can I run with these?"  Are you getting the scenario?  We are not even up to basket ball practice yet!  My daughter and I collided racing for the door with busy children heading for different life enhancing afternoons.  Tanner grabbed the "Harpy" tote and one shoe!  Unfortunately, I drew the short straw and short child and as I realized that I had both boys, two tennis racquets, my head full of "Todd's new strategy" and "Harpy".  "Tanner, please leave Harpy home!"  "Meme! I can take care of Harpy, Mrs. Ely said I have to take care of him!  I'm big enough!"

The three greatest myths/lies in the United States are:  1. The Check is in the mail.  2. Really, you can tell me anything! and...wait for it...3. I can do it!  I'm big enough!

Oh, I think that you know where this leads...

We knocked down anyone in our path to get into the Tennis Club... Tennis Todd - delivered.  Tess was on her way to the Ballet Studio...

"Tanner, let's run into the store, I only need a thing or two." 

"C'mon Harpy, we have to go shopping!"  Tanner grabbed the tote, maybe Harpy?

  "No, Tanner, please leave him in the car!  The store is busy, I don't want to make this my next career move, just leave him in the car!"

"Meme!  I can take care of Harpy!  Mrs. Ely said...."

We saw some people that we know.  I chatted here and there.  As we left the store...you guessed it...

"Meme, where's Harpy?"  Tanner is really a rocket scientist in the disguise of a four year old.  He has the ability to launch me into the wild blue yonder, beyond the Milky Way and have you ever seen me wave from the Aurora Borealis?  Yes, readers, I was livid, furious, rushed to pick up Todd, dropping my packages, and just not singing, "What a Wonderful World!" 

We retraced our steps, we recruited a cute young employee who must have suffered through a few episodes of a wired grandmother, we put the management on alert and left without Harpy.

The next best thing...remember, I am shallow, an egomaniac, the works.  We have two variety stores that boast that they are open 24 hours.  After the children and their Mom went home, I recruited a friend, who by the way would rather not be my friend at this point, to drive me in a storm (nothing's simple) and pull up to the two stores while I searched for Harpy II.  Walmart let me down.  Meijer had a three foot Emperor Penguin.  I couldn't even spin that Harpy ate sooooo much that he grew in two days. 

Think about our children's lives.  Our week is NUTS... besides school, homework, activities (Dance, Acting, Cheerleading, Tennis, BasketBall...that's just now...in Spring we add golf and baseball), the equipment, shoes, clothes for the things that enrich us.  Pets to care for - talk about responsibility.  We have religious education and the materials/assignments required.  Am I missing the point of a toy and journal?  Tanner has carried around Woody (from Toy Story) for two years, you know.  Never lost, but there's a connection.  If he can remember where he left his crocs, we are doing well.  Actually, a few blogs back, Tiffany and I nearly forgot Tanner!

Sometimes, just sometimes, I believe that educators don't realize that on paper ideas look fantastic, valuable.  But, reality is that some of us with three children with at least two-three commitments each (not to mention religion) are penalized over and over with assignments that are above children's heads.  We are "collecting" , fund raising, book fairing, volunteering, shhhing at Mass,  enriching until we are in a furious stupor!

If you see 'Harpy", please tell him that Tanner misses him and is sorry that he lost track of him.  Please tell Harpy that Meme (remember, readers...that's pronounced may-may) is sorry that she just wasn't on top of her game.  Whoever has Harpy now, take good care of him.  He, according to the journal, is well traveled.  He has been to the Zoo, to the Barber Shop and the Library.  If Harpy gets too homesick, please send him back to the Epiphany Lutheran Pre-School!

No comments:

Post a Comment