Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Danville, Illinois - USA

Recently, I visited Danville, Illinois!  I had never been there.  PROJECT REUNION - IT'S ALL ABOUT ME! is responsible for new places and people!  Danville is the home to THE VERMILION COUNTY WAR MUSEUM.  There are are more than 5,000 exhibits ranging from the Revolutionary War to Iraqi Freedom.  There are 4,000 books, hundreds of uniforms from all branches of the military and all war.  I will now share the words of Harry Johnson, a World War II Veteran and Curator/Guide of the Museum.  Mr. Johnson wrote:
                                                                
  "  NO GLORY

The Museum is not here to glorify or perpetuate war.  Children have played war for centuries, however, when you are lying in a foxhole in the rain or show, or feel the burning sand of the desert, or the heat and humidity of the jungle, the glory of war is soon gone. When you see tracer bullets coming toward your aircraft, witness a torpedo headed for your ship or feel the concussion of depth charges in a submarine, it is a terrifying experience.  Prisoners of war subjected to the inhumanities of captivity with little to eat, by an enemy with very little to eat for their own people, know there is no glory to war.
God meant mankind to live in peace and harmony.  If you should slap my face, I could live with that, however, if you cause harm to my younger sibling, I will, to the best of my ability, be all over you like a wet shirt.
War occurs when some selfish individual like Adolf Hitler or Saddam Hussein want more than their share and exercise their dictatorial powers to wage war on their neighbors.  At this time, a choice must be made, roll over and succumb to the tyrant's wishes, or stand and fight, not for yours alone, but for country and all himanity.
The War Museum is here to honor the sarcrifices made by so many men and women over the years.  THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES, GAVE THEIR ALL FOR US THE LIVING.  WE SALUTE THEM!  If you served your country in war we SALUTE YOU!   If in peace time, we do need a strong defensive Armed Forces, always, WE SALUTE YOU!  If you weren't an active participant, you undoubtedly had a mother, father, sister or brother, husband or wife, aunt or uncle, or some other ancestor who did, WE SALUTE YOU FOR THEM!
PLESE HONOR THE AURA AND WONDERMENT OF THE MUSEUM AS YOU VIEW THE EXHIBITS, REALIZING THAT YOU HAVE SEEN A LOT OF HISTORY!"

                                                          Harry Johnson, Vermilion County War Museum Society

Mr. Johnson proudly informed, entertained, intrigued as he ushered his audience through various exhibits.  I occasionally would wander on my own and listen to the spirit of America, there, pulsating with peaceful strength. I was gripped by the hush of breath of heros and martyrs. As I fingered uniforms, I gently nudged the essence of our Freedom. I was humbled by the magnitude of loss. I stood in a shrine of men and women who gave me the ability/freedom to sit and type my selfish thoughts, to select a fantastic restaurant for dinner, to pop into any establishment in the country and chat with free merchants or volunteers, buy a new phone with no censor, watch "I Love Lucy" or eat pizza all night long, if I so desire. The men and women, who unselfishly perished in Military campaigns  extended the freedom to learn and work to immigrants, such as my Italian Grandparents. Soldiers, Prisoners of War, those Missing In Action, Veterans and casualties all strengthened the Statue of Liberty's arms to embrace those seeking life and liberty.

Thank you, Mr. Johnson for your extreme knowledge, participation and enthusiasm.  I believe that you are the backbone of The Vermilion County War Museum Society.

 Jackie, the President of the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Danville VFW was gracious and welcoming.  I bragged (not recommended in the future)  that I am the Secretary of a Post in Kettering, Ohio that  celebrated it's 50th Anniversary on October 14. Jackie, quietly informed me that by year end, her post is celebrating its 80th!  Yes, readers, I am a smartie aleck.  She gave a tour of the establishment, told of some of the events, procedures and basically we "talked shop".  Thank you!

Danville is historic, friendly.  My impression is that there are no strangers and that there are friendly faces willing to share bits of themselves with a visitorr.

Mr. Johnson, Jackie thank you for your hospitality, sincerity and generosity!






  

No comments:

Post a Comment