Saturday, November 30, 2013

OVER THE RIVER AND THROUGH THE WOODS (Well, Into the Kitchen and Through the Living Room)

I was sad that the Trio (grandchildren:  Todd, 10; Tess 9; Tanner, 6) and their Mom (Tiffany, my daughter), would be in Florida for Thanksgiving.  I decided that I was going to go home for the holiday.  My spirits were elevated upon recalling the "Thanksgiving Song" that I learned so long ago.  Nick, my son, was going to go with me.  Road Trip!  My parents even said that his friend and her daughter were welcome to join us!  My niece, Victoria, requested that I make a "Candy Bar Pie" that she likes.  Mom and Dad were a little queasy about that...My sister and I have learned:  1/  Don't touch anything in their kitchen; and 2.  Bring nothing into their kitchen or to their table.,  So, my sister and I cooked up an elaborate plan whereby, I would make the Candy Bar Pie in Ohio, keep it still and protected in the cold trunk of my car and drive it to New Jersey.  We would then make off with plastic forks, napkins, transfer it directly into her car from my trunk.  Victoria, Donna and I would then drive around Packanack Lake and eat pie while Nick unloaded my car, without the Honeymooners catching us.  In spite of the fact that my Dad still wonders if I will ever get a job and considers me "wacky" at best, I, for some reason, was looking forward to the family holiday.  "Over the River and Through the Woods" with a Candy Bar Pie and my son...Who could ask for anything more?

BUT

Two weeks before the intended trip, Nick bowed out.  "Mom, let's do Thanksgiving on Sunday, when you get back, okay?  I can't be gone long, blah, blah, blah, ah- ha  and so on and so forth."

I made plans to see a friend, continue with Thanksgiving at The Honeymooners'.  On Black Friday, Donna and I were going to do all sorts of sisterly things.  Candy Bar Pie and I were going to New Jersey for Thanksgiving!

BUT

One week before the intended trip, the weather forecast was miserable.  I would be riding in a storm across Pennsylvania on the way to New Jersey and on the way back.  No break in sight.  It would storm while I was there.  The prospect of driving ten to twelve hours alone, half in the dark...not so appealing.  Donna said, "It's not a good idea to drive by yourself in bad weather, etc.  I'll tell Mom for you.  You know Dad will freak if you are out there in a storm by yourself!"  I did put on my big girl panties though and called home:  "Mom, Donna and I were talking and..."  Mom, cut me right off:  "Are you trying to upset Daddy?  What is the matter with you thinking that you'll drive in horrific weather all alone?  STAY HOME and BE SAFE!"   That was easy.  I called Donna and told her not to call home, I already did.  My phone, with a Pirate's Jig ringtone, by the way, went off immediately after I spoke with my sister.  It was Dad.  "You are so wacky!  Why would you put yourself at risk driving here in a storm by yourself?  STAY HOME and BE SAFE!"  Me:  "Dad, I talked to Donna about it and to Mom, we all already decided that we'll see how Christmas week is.  Okay?"  He agreed and questioned when I will get a job and questioned my Candy Bar Pie intention.  I assured him that I am looking for a Literary Agent, I did two commercials and that no Candy Bar Pie will cross the border into Jersey any time too soon.  If it did, it would not seek entry into his domicile.  Whew!

I told a friend (Jersey Side) about my dilemma.  He said, "Book a flight, I'll pay half".  Just tell your sister that I want to taste that Candy Bar Pie!  You can make it at my house, since you can't board a plane with a Candy Bar Pie!"  I heard that the airlines were going to have weather problems, but, I gave it a shot anyway.  Then I remembered:  I had a ticket for a flight from Dayton to Newark Airport dated last December 1!  I knew that I had a year to use it.  November 21 was plenty of time before December 1.  So, I phoned United Airlines. "Sorry Laura, may I call you Laura?  You are one day late.  That ticket was purchased on November 20.  You should have called us yesterday and we could have circumvented the weather and gotten you home.  You had a year from PURCHASE DATE, not FLIGHT DATE.  Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

The next call I made was to my son:  "Hey Nick, come over on Thanksgiving for dinner on Thursday, not Sunday.  I'm not going."  Nick:  "Great!  I'll do the turkey, stuffing and the gravy.  I'll bring the camera.  We can use some of the photos in our cookbook.  We'll go through the menu later.  I love your pies!  That'll be all your department.  I think the Candy Bar Pie sounds interesting, but Mom, it's Thanksgiving.  Save that idea for Jersey, not me!  Gotta go!"  Click.

My phone was getting HOT and BUSY doing it's jig all over the place.  Guest list growing, weather predictions even worse and 1,000,000 of my closest friends called to tell me travel plans were OVER...Sure they would love to come to my place.  Then, my friend phoned. I told him about the rogue ticket, that I didn't have half of the national budget for a small Third World country.  He said:  "Let me get off of the phone now and I'll just get you a flight."  I hastened to tell him that now, I had my Son, half of Tipp City and Kettering, part of Oakwood coming over.

My son and the immediate world ushered in Thanksgiving Day.  He and I worked side by side in the kitchen.  We cooked, danced (1,000 top hits of all time on a New York Station that he had broadcasting on his "Smarter than I'll ever be phone).  As we engaged in a lively conversation about glazing carrots, Lisa walked in and immediately pivoted and exited the kitchen announcing to the living room guests:  "They're talking food, I'm outta there!"

Finally, as the fireplace roared with warmth, we took places at a table that stretched from Kettering, Ohio to Wayne, New Jersey.  I looked around as Lisa did a blessing.  I felt my grandparents, my parents, sister, niece and nephew.  I missed the Trio, but silently sent my embrace.  As my Son and I exchanged a glance, I knew that the path to love radiates from within us.  We are all each others' Thanksgiving.

So, into the kitchen and through the living room we laughed, danced, played, ate without any Candy Bar Pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment