Wednesday, February 26, 2014

OF COURSE...CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME

Let me begin with a shaky foundation.  I bought the trio (Todd, 10; Tess, 9; Tanner, 6) Kindle Fires.  They have the ability to text from those contraptions.  Their cell phones have been lost, broken, not replaced (yet). My phone has a rather loud "Pirate Jig" ringtone and my text alert sounds like a "clang" heard at your local fire department.  I am not a morning person.

BUT...I am a smothering, over involved Grandmother.

SO...  After a weekend visit, the usual hugs, kisses, see you next weekend , I love you's and "call anytime"  I unknowingly sealed the deal that I just might never sleep until sunrise again.

BECAUSE...  This morning, my text alarm clanged at 7:02 A.M.  That startled me out of a rather pleasant dream.  UGH.  I managed to grope and grab my phone after knocking the alarm clock (never used), some papers, a pen, two paper clips, an emery board, three flash drives, two prayer books, a photo of my grandparents, a bracelet and a glass of water off of my night table onto the floor.  The text was from Tess:  "Good morning Meme (may-may)!  I love you!  I'll talk to you later!"  So, one eyed, stiff fingered, I replied something to the effect: "Good morning pretty Princess!  I love you too!"  I gently closed my eyes.  At 7:18 A.M., the Pirate Jig, not to be outdone, rattled me.  "Hello?"  Todd:  "Meme!  Is Tessie bothering you?  I told her that texting would wake you up.  Your text thingie is so loud!  I'll talk to her about bothering you early in the morning!"  Ah-ha...is it me?  "Todd, I was up anyway". (Oh sure, let's see now - America's top lies:  1.  "the check is in the mail" 2. "you can tell me anything" and 3."I was up"), so no worries.  Are you getting ready for school?  Better have some breakfast and I'll talk to you when you get home!"  Todd:  "Okay, love you, bye!"  Click.  I settled under the covers again, ignoring the mess on the floor.  I snuggled in just right, when, you guessed it...a text followed quickly by the jig!  Tanner, before I could speak :  "Meme!  Todd grabs the phone before me!  Tess said that I can't text you while she is because that's too much at once and your phone will break!  I think that they make stuff up and grab the house phone faster because I'm the baby!"  Oh boy.  "Tanner.  It's true that you are the youngest.  But, you are no baby, because you have those two figured out!  Quick Fingers and Bossy Bloomers have nothing on you!"  Giggling:  "I love you, Meme!  You are always right!"

When children are 6, adults are right.  When they are 10 until, oh maybe yesterday (talking to my 36 year old son), not so much!  Of course, call or text anytime and I'll remind you!

No comments:

Post a Comment