Sunday, February 26, 2012

WHO ARE YOU?

As I was growing up, people in my world were identified by not who they are/were, but their link in the chain of relationships to others. My father, I wonder, if he ever wanted to hear his name and his definition. Let me explain.

My father was "Ralph the Barber's Son" for his entire life and still is! My father has acquired a few other labels: He was "Angie's Husband" (still is); and, for ever..."Laura's Father". He became "Tiffany's Grandfather", and eventually "Mommy's Grandpa" (to his great-grandchildren). He was named "Chaunce"...("Nice play, Chauncy!" by a family friend because of his tennis playing superiority). That was probably the only name that was his alone and not even the one with which he was baptized!

I have become increasingly aware that most of us are links in relationships' chains. Tiffany's Mom, Nick's Mom, Todd's grandmother, Nick's girlfriend, Tess' brother, Laura and Donna's mother, Steve's Mom and Tanner's sister. We are friends with Max's Mom, Jacob's Dad, Sharron's Mom and so it goes.

I have wiggled for years to be me! My continuous mission to be a creative free spirit could be a new Olympic Sport. I am an Artist, an Author, an Actor! I love to go to Church! I have fifty-seven shades of eye shadow in my freezer (my mother counted) and hate to buy food! You can paint, create amazing projects in my home, but I cringe at crumbs! I AM ME! ME! ME!

So, this morning at "coffee" between Sunday School (I teach second grade) and Mass, I ran into a woman whom I see around frequently. I know her by sight. (No comments on my near-sightedness!) I smiled and said, "Hi, how are you?" She replied with immediate recognition and a broad "I want to be your friend smile":

"Oh! You're the lady always with those three little children!"

No comments:

Post a Comment