Tuesday, March 27, 2012

IN SEARCH OF THE "BEAT" GENERATION (sort of)

Last week, the children, Tiff and I went shopping. I more or less finished up Todd for his First Holy Communion (May 6, don't rush to Confession right now) while Tiff took Tess to "Justice" to find the perfect outfit for:

THE COFFEE HOUSE

The First Grade at PVS graciously hosted a "Coffee House Poetry Reading"! Really! Students were encouraged to sensitively connect with themselves, their worlds and express themselves. The poems were to be created by the children, officially typed (Mrs. L) and then mounted on colorful paper, student illustrated and faculty laminated. Apparently, the First Grade had been in quite a tizzy for quite a while to prepare for this afternoon!

Let's back up...

So, Tess selected an adorable leopard print, maxi, with glitz and matching glitz sandals! Her hair was braided and then tied with a gold, glitz, happening do-dad! No Bongo...but at least FASHIONABLE!

One PM...start time!!!

Tiff, Tanner and I (Todd in school and unhappy to miss the "happening") arrived to be greeted by official "greeters" at the entrance to the "Coffee House". The Greeters were Tess and a sweet, shy little boy, Diego! We received our "programs" and were directed to Coffee, Tea, Hot Chocolate, donuts in the "red neighborhood's hallway" before we entered the "Coffee House". Tiff wasn't looking (thank goodness), but I slipped some marshmallows (Tanner's line) into my coffee. I'm sophisticated, but, hey, when in Rome...etc. So, with Marshmallows floating in my coffee, I made my way into the "Coffee House". Mrs. L.'s classroom was transformed into a venue that my Aunt L. frequented, in the "Village" when she was dancing with the ABT in Manhattan. (Understand that the former Ballerina is now 88 years old and in amazing shape! My mom, so much younger was enthralled by the atmosphere, but not now, please)

The basic difference was that this is 2012 in Centerville, Ohio. So, bear with me...

Behind the "poets" as they took their turns, there was a slide show of the students at their daily scholastic activities (okay, and on the playground too). The adults sipped their coffee, nibbled donuts, took digital photos. Our tables were covered in snappy plastic table cloths, there were tissue flower centerpieces created by Tess and her committee.

The Children read, the music softly played, there was a good, good feeling all around. Even the class bully was Tess' new best friend and smiling! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Watch that! But, I stray!

There were two poets before Tess in the line-up. We were at the edge of our seats! Tiff turned around and whispered, "Mom, where's the camera?" I responded, "I left my phone charging in the car, Tiff! Where's your digital?" "Mom, it's in my purse, in your trunk...it didn't match my outfit and I didn't want to bring it in!" In otherwords, we were on time, we were enjoying the retro-afternoon, our little girl was centerpieces, greeter AND poet and neither of us had a camera!

I raced out of the "Coffee House", I ran through the halls (some little Kindergarten smarty told me, "No running in the halls!") I dodged cars in the parking lot. I threw myself on the locks of my car! I grabbed Tiff's camera, I grabbed my phone, I broke the speed of light to race back to the "Coffee House"...as I literally threw myself into my chair, tossed Tiff her camera, whipped my phone out of my pocket, "Meme...you missed me!" whispered Tess!

Where have all of the Beatnicks gone? Long time searching, bongo-ing.

No comments:

Post a Comment