Tuesday, May 6, 2014

MC DONALD'S - I'M LOVIN' IT!

I have mentioned to whoever falls victim to my rants, how I am not a fan (big or little) of Naples, Florida , nor Zanesville, Ohio.  The only difference between the two (other than geography) is that Naples is affluent and Zanesville - not so much.  The citizens/residents of both checked manners, intelligence at the borders before entering.

BUT...

Both have a McDonald's with Wi-Fi!  In situations when I have been condemned to either municipality, I have wandered into McDonald's with my computer, newspaper, loneliness and an extreme thirst for coffee!  After I corralled the Trio (grandchildren), which is like herding cats, early in the morning, I would stop in at a Naples' McDonald's.  A very nice man explained the "drill" to access the Internet, other patrons chatted with the children and frankly, for hours, one could actually enjoy oneself!  The partons were older, well-dressed, well-spoken and "regulars" that met in the mornings before their days began!  Friendly, welcoming, patient, fun!  The staff of the establishment seemed to be waiting for us and glad that we finally arrived!  After a few mornings, the people remembered our names, saved a table large enough for the Trio and myself and all of my assorted papers!  When a gentleman, any gentleman, would get up for a refill, he would ask if I was ready for a warm up!  I expressed my shock, gratitude and said that should I wander back into Naples, I would most certainly join the crowd again!

AND THEN...

I spent a week in Zanesville, Ohio with the children while my daughter was out of town.  For some reason, the Internet was "down".  What to do?  After dropping the children off at school, I headed for the nearest McDonald's, on Maple Avenue, might I add.  I found a great table, with a perfect view of the television, already tuned in to NBC (I am a "Today Show" junkie).  I spread out - newspaper, computer, papers, breakfast and hunkered down. After a short time, one of the employees approached and offered to refill my coffee cup.  Patrons coming and going all smiled, said "Good Morning".  Like Naples, the guests were older.  Designer clothing was lacking, but warmth, friendliness were the norm.  On the second morning, as I entered, one man said: "Here you go, honey - the table must be reserved for you!"  Chit chat about everything and nothing included een me!  My visit became a party.  By the third morning, the staff greeted me, the partons( sounded like the customers in "Cheers" when they would yell out "Norm!") exclaimed: "Laur!"   Who would get more coffee, who would read everyone's horoscopes, and "Hey, girl, what 'er ya workin' on now?" was directed at me!

SO...

On my last morning for this visit in Zanesville, I met my 25 new friends, settled in and flipped on "Happy" on You-Tube.  The crowd, including staff, gravitated towards me.  Some were familiar with "that hip hop stuff" because of grandchildren.  By the time I played the song for the second time, the partons of McDonald's were dancing, singing, snapping their fingers!  We were all "happy"!  I phoned and placed my phone on speaker for one more encore so that my parents, in their local McDonald's on the Hamburg Turnpike in Wayne, NJ, could hear what is in store for them when I join them during my next visit.

MY THOUGHT...

The McDonald Corporation should stand and proudly bow!  The dispositions of the employees encourage a "regular" crowd of very, very, very nice people.  The Senior Citizen Breakfast Club (my words, not theirs) is made to feel welcome, not rushed (how about that for a fast food joint?).  McDonald's guidelines and policies, I think, have established a universal protocol of patience, kindness and understanding.  McDonald's is a haven for those seeking companionship, peer idea exchange and a sense of "belonging".  I appreciate Happy Meals and Play Areas when I have the children with me.  McDonald's accommodates all ages, true.  However, whether it be Zanesville, Centerville, Ohio; Naples, Orlando, Florida; Wayne, New Jersey; Times Square, NYC or anyplace on the planet, McDonald's corporation, thank you!  I'M LOVIN' IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment